Event Build Error 255

Oct 12, 2010 at 4:46 AM

I have installed the Windows 7 SDK (GRMSDK_EN_DVD); however I get this error every time.

Error 4 The command "IF EXIST "%ProgramW6432%" (
"%ProgramW6432%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\UICC.exe" "C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\RibbonMarkup.xml" "C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\RibbonMarkup.bml" /res:"C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\RibbonMarkup.rc"
"%ProgramW6432%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\rc.exe" /v "C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\RibbonMarkup.rc"
) ELSE (
"%PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\UICC.exe" "C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\RibbonMarkup.xml" "C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\RibbonMarkup.bml" /res:"C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\RibbonMarkup.rc"
"%PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\rc.exe" /v "C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\RibbonMarkup.rc"
)
cmd /c "("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\..\..\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat") && ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\..\..\VC\bin\link.exe" /VERBOSE /NOENTRY /DLL /OUT:"C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\bin\Debug\01-AddingRibbonSupport.ribbon.dll" "C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\RibbonMarkup.res")"

" exited with code 255. 01-AddingRibbonSupport

I've tried older version of the project with the same result. I have to be missing something. Please help!

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:34 AM
Edited Oct 13, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Thing that i've tried so far.

1. Repairing VS08

Result: Same

2. Installed VS 2010

3. Uninstall The Win 7 SDK, and reinstall using the websetup @ http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c17ba869-9671-4330-a63e-1fd44e0e2505&displaylang=en 

4. Editing the Pre-build event.
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\UICC.exe" "$(ProjectDir)RibbonMarkup.xml" "$(ProjectDir)RibbonMarkup.bml" /res:"$(ProjectDir)RibbonMarkup.rc"
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\rc.exe" /v "$(ProjectDir)RibbonMarkup.rc"
cmd /c "("$(DevEnvDir)..\..\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat") && ("$(DevEnvDir)..\..\VC\bin\link.exe" /VERBOSE /NOENTRY /DLL /OUT:"$(ProjectDir)$(OutDir)$(TargetName).ribbon.dll" "$(ProjectDir)RibbonMarkup.res")

Result:
Error 4 The command ""C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\UICC.exe" "C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\RibbonMarkup.xml" "C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\RibbonMarkup.bml" /res:"C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\RibbonMarkup.rc"
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\rc.exe" /v "C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\RibbonMarkup.rc"
cmd /c "("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\..\..\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat") && ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\..\..\VC\bin\link.exe" /VERBOSE /NOENTRY /DLL /OUT:"C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\bin\Debug\01-AddingRibbonSupport.ribbon.dll" "C:\Users\Eric\Documents\RIBBON\RibbonLib_v2.5\Samples\CS\01-AddingRibbonSupport\RibbonMarkup.res")" exited with code 1. 01-AddingRibbonSupport

5. Remove Last line of event.
           Result: Built, but will not work with out the NameHere.Ribbon.dll made by the last line

6. Uninstall/reinstall VS08

7. Install on a other computer with a fresh copy of windows 7.
            Result: Worked.

8. Uninstalling VS08,  every SDK from the system, and reinstalling just what is needed for this.
             Result: Failed, Created Problem in the new install.

9. Reinstall Windows 7 and only needed SDKS. (DirectX, XNA, Windows 7)
              Result: Works Great now. Lession learned is that when all else fails reinstall Windows.

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2010 at 10:24 AM

When you get errors in compilation I suggest you take the pre-build steps and try to run them in a Visual Studio command prompt (cmd).

From my experience the error information you will get there is more verbose and can help you find the problem.

If you solve it, please write your answer in this thread so others can benefit from your knowledge.

Thanks,
Arik.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM

EricT
The error 255 for a syntax error in you cmd line, no need for uninstall and re-install everything...I just checked the cmd line and you are missing the closing double quote!

4. Editing the Pre-build event.
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\UICC.exe" "$(ProjectDir)RibbonMarkup.xml" "$(ProjectDir)RibbonMarkup.bml" /res:"$(ProjectDir)RibbonMarkup.rc"
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\rc.exe" /v "$(ProjectDir)RibbonMarkup.rc"
cmd /c "("$(DevEnvDir)..\..\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat") && ("$(DevEnvDir)..\..\VC\bin\link.exe" /VERBOSE /NOENTRY /DLL /OUT:"$(ProjectDir)$(OutDir)$(TargetName).ribbon.dll" "$(ProjectDir)RibbonMarkup.res")" <-- this is the missing double quote.

Sorry for this late I just see this, and I think it would help others.

Bashar.